Skip to main content

Will a nation awaken?


This morning I woke up and checked twitter & facebook on the phone as I do first thing everyday.

Except today wasn’t ‘any day’. The news waiting for us was the most saddening one possible. The young lady in Delhi, who was brutally raped and assaulted in the bus from hell a few days back, who since then was fighting for her life against all odds, had finally lost her battle. This anonymous girl, who became an unfortunate symbol of the atrocities that women in India are subjected to, had breathed her last.

Murdered by the six monsters in that ill fated bus.

I flinched the moment I read the news. My first thoughts were about what must have happened in the bus and what inhuman brutality the young lady was subjected to. If the very thought of it made one cringe and recoil in horror then one cannot even imagine how the girl who actually went though it and tried to fight it out suffered.

A fight which seems to have galvanised the nation as people are stepping out in protest all across India. Sometimes one cynically wonders what is the point of it all but this time one hopes things are different. People stepped out in waves, day after day, as they prayed for the young lady and clamoured for the ‘safety of women’.

The term ‘safety of women’ might sound patronising. In fact it is shameful that a nation which aspires to be a world leader needs to discuss the ‘safety’ of its women but that is the bitter reality. And it affects every one. Not just women. Having to wonder whether people out there are safe is no way to lead ones life and yet that is a reality.

It is convenient to parcel off what has happened as ‘oh that’s Delhi’ but the truth is that the malaise infests the entire country. Yes, in Mumbai we do feel that things are a lot better….but ‘lot better’ is not good enough.

As one sees the protests across the country, and across gender and age groups, one can only hope that it brings across a social awakening. A realisation that women are not there to be leered at, groped, molested, raped. 

One cannot depend just on the police, the politicians and the judiciary for this. People need to change. We need to change. It is more about social change than anything else. And it has to be all pervasive.

I must admit that I have not gone out to any protest march. But I doff my hat to all those who have been there braving the cold, the tear gas, water cannons and police stern-ness and have travelled from across to protest in Delhi. Inspiration to people across the country, including in Mumbai who are stepping out in protest.

With so many citizens out on the streets, the government has to realise that this time is different. It is not another case of ‘life will go on”. People are angry. People are concerned. People are affected.

Of course waiting for society to change is somewhat utopian and definitely long term. Just a few hours after the young lady breathed her last there were reports of men feeling up women in the crowds that had gathered to mourn her death. Even journalists were not spared.

Perhaps an immediate answer lies in what happened in the drive against drunken driving in Mumbai.

What years of ad campaigns and news of deaths caused by drunken driving couldn’t do was fixed by strict police action. The past few years have seen the Mumbai Police do a stellar job of manning the roads at night, checking people for drunken driving and enforcing immediate penalties including locking up those who drove after drinking. If people have stopped drinking and driving, for many it is the sheer fear of the law which has worked more that anything else.

It is this sort of vigilance and  enforcement of law which is the need of the hour. Just as the police have driven the fear of god into those who drink and drive the same needs to happen to those who would even think of lifting an arm on women.

Will this be foolproof? Nothing is, but unfortunately, and rather embarrassingly, this might be our only  hope till ‘enlightenment’ happens.

What will not change though was the fact that a young lady’s life was brutally cut short for the nation to awaken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Idiots over 3 D anyday

I slept through most of Avatar a few days back. I was sleep deprived. I had a heavy lunch before watching the film. But to be honest the story didn't engross me. I watched 3 Idiots this afternoon. I slept late last night. Didn't have my post breakfast Sunday nap. The show coincided with my Sunday afternoon ghoom or siesta... sacrosanct to the Bong Bhodrolok . I did not sleep in the movie. Yes, it took off from where Tare Zameen Par left. And the second half was Munna Bhai 3. K feels it had every cliche possible and that it is no Dead Poet's Society or even DevD . But I liked it. It was not new yet refreshing. There were cliches but it also made fun of cliches (the art house treatment of the Rastogi family poverty for example). The film oozed melodrama specially post the samosa break. Yet you could feel that the script writer hadn't left the building. The message of 'excel in what you are passionate about and success will follow' is something some of us tal

The importance of being 'Nyaka'

'Nyaka' is a Bengali term which beats translation. It could mean coy, coquettish, scheming, la di da. There is no one word which captures it. The term is used in a pejorative context and has a sarcastic tone to it. Used a bit more for women than for men. Has a feminine context when used for men. I posed the challenge of translating 'nyaka' into English to fellow Bengalis in Facebook. Here's a sample of the answers that I got. I have removed the names and kept the statuese as is, hope it's not too difficult to read Bong man 1 Coy.....but that does capture the essence 14 December at 14:37 · Me No ...not entirely. A colleague just suggested precocious. Maybe its too intrinsic a Bong trait to be translated :) 14 December at 14:50 · Bong woman 1 kol-lan, difficult to get a english / hindi word for nyaka. 14 December at 15:11 · me that's the point 14 December at 15:15 · Bong woman 2 oh, i think the essence of the word 'nyaka' will be lost in translation.

Where will you be twenty years from now?

A taste of Mumbai It struck me the other day that it has been about twenty years since the time I took my first steps, albeit unwittingly, towards moving into Mumbai. I had been recruited by a market research agency in Kolkata from campus back then. I joined my new office once the MBA course was over. We were then sent to Mumbai for a training programme in August 1997. Once the course was over, my colleagues from Kolkata returned home. I was slated to stay back for a 2 month training programme in Mumbai which then stretched on for close to 6 months. I was put up at a PG in Bandra by my office then. Such  a long journey This was the first time that I was living away from home. All I wanted to do then was to get back to Kolkata as soon as I could. Go back and build a successful career in market research hopefully. Move to an apartment in a posher part of Kolkata than where we lived. At Ballygunge for example.  I thought it would be cool one day have a club membershi