Skip to main content

Mr and Mrs Smith-wallas

I last wrote about my angst and alienation (I studied sociology in college) with the socio legal system. This was with specific reference to the housing society which wasn't allowing us to rent out our place.

That's when we decided to unleash our trump card - my in laws. Let me clarify before you get the wrong impression. They are not WMDs or something. Nor do they belong to the underground (don't get fooled by my pa in law's shaven head). But they, especially my mom in law, are every tenacious in getting things done. They don't give up that easily.

Their track record gave me a lot of confidence. The first time I saw my Mom in Law action was with a couple of insurance policies that were misselled to Kainaz and me. This was from one of the financial groups in India in whose hands we have often suffered. Their (the group's) service and efficiency levels are quite abominable. We have lost interest because we had started a fixed deposit with them but the cretin on the desk had not registered it. We lost serious money and (I) lost hair while buying our house as their agent had promised us the loan after seeing the papers, took the fees and then said that they wouldn't give the loans with the papers available.

So my Mom in law took things in her hand when we got third time unlucky with the insurance wing of this group - she sat on their head till they returned Kainaz's money and till they corrected the errors in my policy.

So we turned to my in laws with a lot of hope this time to resolve our society problem.

They made about five trips to the registrar at Bandra from Dadar. Unlike Kainaz and I who were frazzled after a couple of attempts. Again while we would wait tentatively there, they went up the food chain and met the peon, the deputy registrar, his clerk. They argued our case. Got promises of help. Persisted till they got specific commitments from the deputy registrar. Then enlisted the peon's help to track the elusive office clerk and finally did got the clerk to implement the Regirstrar's promise of help.

The end result? Yesterday, my in laws got us a stern letter written by the Deputy Registrar to our society secretary asking him to stop harassing us and to resolve issues within fifteen days and let us rent out our place. The Registrar also told the society folks that he did not want to get any further complaints from us about the society.

How cool is that? Now we can at least go and look for a tenant.

Thanks to all who wrote in with their support. Thanks Anaggh for your tips. Yes, the registrar is fairly effective IF, and its a big if, you are really persistent and have the time to go after them. My in laws are retired and are tenacious.

Talking of retirement, I am really, impressed with my Mom in law's skill in cracking first, one of India's largest and most slothful financial companies, and now, a typical bureaucratic, government office. She has a natural talent as what Kainaz calls a 'fixer'. Perhaps she can take up cases from people like us (working, not too worldly wise) for a fee. And all above board.

I am sure there will be quite a few takers. What say?
12 comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of being 'Nyaka'

'Nyaka' is a Bengali term which beats translation. It could mean coy, coquettish, scheming, la di da. There is no one word which captures it. The term is used in a pejorative context and has a sarcastic tone to it. Used a bit more for women than for men. Has a feminine context when used for men.I posed the challenge of translating 'nyaka' into English to fellow Bengalis in Facebook. Here's a sample of the answers that I got.I have removed the names and kept the statuese as is, hope it's not too difficult to read

Bong man 1Coy.....but that does capture the essence
14 December at 14:37 ·

Me
No ...not entirely. A colleague just suggested precocious. Maybe its too intrinsic a Bong trait to be translated :)
14 December at 14:50 ·

Bong woman 1kol-lan, difficult to get a english / hindi word for nyaka.
14 December at 15:11 ·

me
that's the point
14 December at 15:15 ·

Bong woman 2
oh, i think the essence of the word 'nyaka' will be lost in translation. just like gettin…

Philosophising is fine but action is what matters

“The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."We were introduced to this quote from Karl Marx by a gentleman named Samit Kar who taught us Marxism in Presidency College. We had a paper on Marxism as a part of our Sociology course designed by the Calcutta University in the mid 1990s. I was not into Marxism, which seemed so anachronistic in the post Berlin Wall fall days, and wasn't too keen on these classes.
However there was no forgetting this line of Marx as Professor Kar would keep repeating it. He was so fond of this line that a friend of mine and I wondered if this is what he told his wife the night he had got married!  I must mention that prof Kar had graciously invited all of us from class to his wedding at a place called Shinghi Park and it was a happy evening. Whether his favourite Marxist quote was a part of what was discussed later that night was not something that we ever found out.

From what I remember, and…

Queue-spreading because its spelling is the least of our problem with queues

Scene 1:

I had gone to pay local taxes at a government office in Bandra a few days back.

I was directed to a table where there was no-one else waiting. I went up to the officer at the desk and submitted our papers. He keyed in the details in to his computer. The results flashed immediately. I gave our cheque, so far so good.

Then the officer pointed out that the cheque was Rs 12 (twelve) more than what was due. We looked at each other and tried to figure out what has to be done. Suddenly an elderly corpulent gentleman came and sidled up and stood beside me. I waited a for a couple of seconds. I thought he might have a question for the officer. I looked at the encroacher. He smiled at me. There was no-one behind me and yet he stood beside me.

I looked at him and said, 'do you mind standing behind me? We are discussing something here.' He smiled at me and said, 'no problem, I will wait.'

I drew my breath and said, 'can you please stand in the queue while we finish.&…